We’ve all known someone who rocks a mullet. For those who aren’t so lucky, a mullet is a haircut that’s short on the sides and front and long in the back. The Beastie Boys song “Mullet Head” popularized the term in the 90s, rockstars like Rod Stewart, Keight Richard, David Bowie, and Paul McCartney popularized the haircut in the 1970s.
Here are some fun mullet facts:
- Iran has banned them as “un-Islamic.”
- The first written account of mullets was in the 6th century. A scholar Procopius wrote of young Byzantine men sporting a ‘Hunnic’ look.
- The term “mullet head” originates from the early 20th century as slang for stupid people.
- During the 1980s, mullets became popular in lesbian culture in the United States to identify themselves.
- In the 1990s, Superman briefly died and came back with a mullet.
- A tellum is a reverse mullet – long in the front and short in the back and sides.
Now that you know some exciting mullet facts, let’s take a look at some fantastic photos of people rocking mullets in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
Did you know mullets are coming back?
Fashion trends tend to come full circle. Did you really think that mullets would be the exception? As a bonus, take a look at some 21st century mullets.
- Manorialism: What is It, How Does It Work, and How Did it End? - January 18, 2021
- NutraBurst Review 2021: Everything You Should Know - January 12, 2021
- Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation Pros and Cons - January 12, 2021