As hard as it may be to believe, one of the earliest precursors to modern computers happened to be the antikythera artefact (100 BC), which was recently discovered on the sea floor, off an ancient shipwreck. But mankind has evolved since then and over the course of last few centuries, we have managed to create several wonders all of which has led to advances in various fields, including the advent of the digital age, for that’s what the 21st century is all about. But the 21st century comes with both positive and negative aspects and it is time that we took a closer look at it since we happen to be living in the same.
Positive aspects of 21st century:
- Lifespan: given the various advances made in the field of healthcare with new drugs being synthesized, we are able to combat several diseases effectively, from Malaria, diabetes, epilepsy, to measles, Chickenpox and much more. More importantly, we are able to develop new vaccines and prevent our children from developing several health issues including whooping cough and in the process, have been able to save many a life. With these advances, we have even been able to eradicate smallpox altogether, one of the most contagious and insidious diseases known to man. Given all this, it should not come as a surprise to anyone that we have managed to increase the lifespan of a human being in the course of the 21st
- Communication: Given the fact that this century is the digital age, we are now able to communicate with others in real time, even if they are located thousands of miles away. While last century belonged to telegrams, telexes, and the traditional phone, the current one belongs to mobile phones, computers and social media platforms that enable us to share documents, videos and even communicate with the whole world instantaneously.
- Travel: The 21st century and even the last one has seen several advances being made in transportation. Time is at a premium and while we had to make do with a two or even three day transit period to traverse a distance of two thousand miles, it is now possible to do the same in a matter of few hours. Thanks to high-speed trains like the Maglev, that travel at a top speed of 231 MPH, thereby making it possible for anyone to complete a two thousand mile journey in six to eight hours.
Negative aspects of 21st century:
- Insular: Man is a sociable animal but that no longer seems to be the case given the fact that we have become more insular and often interact less with others socially as we are often obsessed with communicating with others via various digital devices. Given the advances in communications technology, it is now possible to hold video conversations with someone on the other end of the world. As a result, we often rely on such devices rather than interact with them directly. This has led us to become more insular, and more self-absorbed with our own little world. As a result, we often fail to consider the greater good of the community and we are slowly losing our ability to empathize with others in lesser circumstances.
- Gaming: One of the irksome features when it comes to the 21st century is the various online games. These games are highly addictive and often come with advanced graphics and enable you to enter into a virtual environment. In fact, these games are so addictive that there are companies that fund contests and various championship games in order to encourage more people to play their games. Some of the players become so entranced by these games, that they often play the same for days on end which often results in their health being impacted.
- Health impact: Most of us tend to have a sedentary lifestyle to the point that we no longer get up to turn off the light but instead use our phones to do the same. Thanks to the internet of things (IoT), most of our devices are interlinked and as a result, we rely on the same for completing the most basic of tasks. While these are indeed convenient, the fact remains that our physical activity is becoming limited and this is resulting in a spurt in obesity and obesity-related health disorders. It is no wonder that children are becoming diabetic at a very young age which is indeed a disturbing trend.
These are some of the positive and negative aspects of the 21st century.