The information system is a vital cog when it comes to development; Information technology and the various information systems are pivotal to the development of any nation as a whole. We live in the digital world where internet and information systems are firmly entrenched across all verticals to the point that companies need the same to function seamlessly. Given the scope of information system and the wide application of the same, perhaps it is time that we took a real hard look at some of the positive and negative impact of information system as a whole.
The positive impact of information system
- Communication: With a comprehensive information system, you should be able to communicate with others through various formats, from chat to video chats and even hold conference calls. Information system makes this all possible and thanks to the same, we can now make long distance calls at a pittance of what we used to pay before. It should also be pointed out that information system is highly adaptable, making it possible for us to communicate over long distances. For example, even though Voyager is now in interstellar space at a distance of 11 billion miles and counting, its developers are able to send crucial information to it, thanks to the robust information system on board.
- Development: With robust information systems, many governments have started to use the same to help educate their local population so as to provide them with basic skills and to make them more aware of the various opportunities’ out there. Most of the government based programs and initiatives are run with the help of robust information system which makes it possible for the government issued benefits to reach the concerned person on time. One could almost say that development today would not be possible without the infrastructure or a robust information system.
- Globalization and cultural gap: With information systems being increasingly used it has resulted in globalization and dispersion of ideas, new concepts. Moreover, it enables people to communicate with each other despite the cultural gap and even linguistic barriers.
- 24*7: Thanks to information systems, companies can now be open round the clock. Earlier on, a company could be open only during the working hours but thanks to internet and information systems, companies can now remain open all through the night. All they have to do is set up an online shop, set up a shopping cart and that’s it.
Negatives of Information system
- Lack of job security: With information systems in place, companies vie with each other to retain their edge and as a result, have started automating several business processes. This has led to several people being let go which in turn has made it apparent to one and all that job security is more of a thing of the past. With a robust information system in place, companies can now streamline their business processes, store all data in the form of digital files, and even process them instantaneously. Essentially tasks which were earlier on carried out by human employees are now being executed seamlessly by computers.
- Cost: Companies may have to spend a bit to integrate the information system with the rest of their existing architecture. And they would often have to either purchase or lease new hardware, software for the same purpose. And they would have to train their employees to learn to operate these systems efficiently. All of this can translate to a hefty initial outlay; but that being said, the advantages of having a robust information system in place outweighs the costs that a company may incur during the implementation phase.
- Security issues: Given the tenfold increase in online attacks over the last five years, the various security issues that one may face as a result of one’s information system cannot be overstated enough. Once you have integrated the information system with the rest of your architecture, you need to take certain measures such as implementing a strong firewall, enabling encryption, so as to prevent any online security threats. Without a strong firewall in place, you are liable to get hacked and all your vendor information, bank details, and personal information – everything would be at risk.
These are some of the positive and negative impacts of information system; information system is essential these days and it is up to us to take measures to mitigate some of the negatives so that we can utilize the various information systems to help power our development.